Saturday, March 20, 2010

Anthro Analysis-Pho Que Huong (Food/Ethnic Restaurants)



Sean Moffet and I had been planning on eating somewhere together for culture blog for a while. We decided upon Pho Que Huong after I recommended it for a new experience. I am someone who is usually open to new experiences visually, mentally, and palatally so the idea intrigued me. When we arrived at Pho Que Huong I was ready to eat and hungry.  We walked in and seated ourselves which I didn't find to be that strange even though I was expecting to be seated by someone. The servers wore all black and acted in a fashion I am accustomed to. The menu was overwhelmingly big to me for some reason and the ingredients to some dishes confused me. One particular dish jumped out at Sean and I , it was called the Hu Tieu My Tho. Hu Tieu My Tho is a rice noodle bowl with pork strips, shrimp, squid and quail egg.  This array of things was served with lettuce , bean sprouts, lemon grass, and some other food items that cannot be identified on a side plate.  

       





  I looked up our choice and found it originates in Mỹ Tho, Vietnam. Mỹ Tho is the capital city and municipality of Tiền Giang Province, located in the Mekong Delta region of southern Vietnam.   Mỹ Tho has a large seafood market which relates to this cultures subsistence . This explains the emphasis on the shrimp and squid in the broth. These two meats seemed to be in the most abundance.Mỹ Tho is  one of South Vietnam's largest resources for dried fish and other dried seafood products such as "Kho Muc" , which is squid.  Overall my experience was okay. I was not impressed by the taste of the food. I was a little ethnocentric towards it, since my taste buds judged the food somewhat on how different it was to my "normal" meals. I would return to this restaurant to eat though because I like trying new things. 



it didn't taste like lettuce....

No comments:

Post a Comment